Sunday, December 11, 2011

Running from God

Have you ever had a situation in your life when you just kept running from God's will, even though you knew exactly what he wanted you to do? Recently in my life I was faced with this exact problem. God had told me what he wanted to do, and at first I made the right decision. At first, I listened to God. But then do you know what happened? I turned back around again and went, "Uhm.. God, I think you were wrong. I'm going to do this my own way." I'm sure you can guess that things really didn't turn out very well. But when you think about it, do things ever turn out very well when you don't listen to what God wants? Let me use an example.

If your parents were to tell you not to go to the party that was this weekend, but you decided to go with a friend anyway, there could be major consequences to going to that party without their permission. At first, going to the party without them might seem a little fun. After all, you are getting out on your own, doing what you want to do, and you don't have to listen to your parents will. Sounds like fun, right? Maybe for awhile, but then you might start to feel guilty or something bad might happen. It is usually after we go out and have our fun that we realize that our parents were right after all.

This reminds me a lot of what happened when I ran away from God's will. Although God never flat out stopped me from making that decision, because God did give us free will, he just sat there and waited for me to come running back to him when I realized he was right. Isn't this a lot of what parents do? We decide not to listen to them, decide that we're right and they're wrong, but in reality they are actually the ones that are right.

I want to urge you right now that if you are running away from God or God's will, to stop. I know that right now, whatever you are going through will be so much easier if you start listening to God's will and not your own. It might be run to go your own way and not listen to God, but it will always be better to put his will before your own. He looks out for us and cares so much about us, his will is ALWAYS in our best interest. Sometimes in life we might think that he doesn't care but the opposite could not be more true. He cares so much that he wants to keep us out of trouble. No, he won't stop us from making the right decision, but he will be right there to catch us when we fall. So if you are busy running away from God, I would encourage you to stop running AWAY from God, but start running TO him instead. You will be amazed with the results.

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." - Revelation 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment